Pages

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Allegories of Oz: Symbolism to inspire Snowfall


This article discusses symbolism in “The Wizard of Oz” as the blog that I wrote last week covered the second edition of “Alice in Wonderland,” which features an introduction that discusses the history, characters and symbolism in the story.  

The story of a little girl named “Dorothy” being swept away in a twister to the magical land of Oz has inspired my imagination ever since I was a child. The books and film adaptations (especially the 1939 “Wizard of Oz” and 1986 “Return to Oz”) have always held a special place in my heart. It’s a nostalgic and emotional journey, with moments of terror, but also whimsy and heart-warming moments. It is this balance of light and darkness that I think pulls you into the story and makes you care for Dorothy and her friends. Her struggle to get back home and for her friend’s to get their courage, heart and brains becomes the struggle of the audience.

This article mentions “symbolic allegory” in the story. The article goes on to explain the possibility that Oz author Frank L. Baum used his characters to symbolize the economy at the time the book was written. The three friends that little Dorothy makes friends with are said to be based off of three different kinds of people. The Scarecrow is the farmer, the Tin Man is a the “dehumanized” factory worker, and the Cowardly Lion represents “social reformers” of the time.

I am interested in symbolic allegory in my story. I am loosely basing this story around the events that follow the very beginning of the Great Depression (so this is perhaps a magical, elseworlds version of 1929). There is a creature known as the “Snowfaller,” a dangerous, Ice-Queen like creature that destroys everything in her path. She is an allegory for the Great Depression. Her reign of destruction has destroyed the world’s main railways, a means for people to buy and sell goods, as well as a means of transportation. The world has fallen into an economic crisis and people are disgusted, looking back at themselves years before. I want there to be a sense of people waking up from a frivolous fantasy (the Roaring 20’s) to a horrible nightmare where there is little to go around.

I also am interested in symbolic allegory to represent current social issues as well as those of the late 20’s/early 30’s. I am interested in depicting gender, gender roles and the expectations of men and women in this world, as well as defying those stereotypes. I especially enjoy exploring the inner strength of women and the secret vulnerability of men.

I also have characters called “Squealers,” portrayed as men with the heads of boars (literal “chauvinist pigs.”) These characters represent the idea of sexual aggression and machismo is today’s American culture and how harmful it can be to men. These characters are similar to the street harassers that I personally have had to avoid in my own life and I want to represent just how frightening this can be, through the eyes of a child.

Going back to the article, there is also the use of “racial allegory.” it is also suggested that there is use of racial metaphor within Oz. The article suggests that Baum used the flying monkeys as a metaphor for Native Americans. The stories feature many different kinds of characters living amongst humans, such as the Munchkins, the Winkies and the creatures that live in the forests of Oz.

I am interested in representing race and racism within my story. In my world, there are humans, Gods, animals, wood creatures, and humanoid creatures with animal features. This story is an allegory for the United States around the beginning of the Great Depression, so I thought it would add complexity to my world to reference the racial tensions and segregation that existed at that time.

One of the main relationships in my story is between Snow, the main character, and her friend Bertie, a “Quetzle Bird,” a rare creature with the body of a young man and the wings and feathers of a bird. When they meet, they are alone. Snow and Bertie form a close friendship and romantic relationship. However, when they are in the big city filled with humans, it is assumed that Bertie is Snow’s “pet.”


Bertie concept
 Snow’s develops other friendships with animals who are turned into humans. Her childlike point of view is used to examine the silly and dangerous behavior of the adults in the world, just as Dorothy’s or Alice from “Alice in Wonderland” does.  

Bertie is colored pencil
 
The story of the “Wizard of Oz” has been very useful in inspiring my world and reading more about the allegories hidden within its pages adds a complexity that I hope to add to my story as well.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment