Pages

Friday, January 16, 2015

"Snowfall" - My Statement of Intent

Statement of Intent: Capstone Graphic Novel Project

For my Capstone, I will be creating a graphic novel. Monica Larson will be my director on this project. I am very interested in graphic novel to big screen adaptation (either live action or animation), so I would like to make a video of my illustrations with the character’s voices, sound effects and music added.
My graphic novel is “Snowfall.” The story centers around the fantastical and frightening adventures of a girl named Snow, the abandoned daughter of a fierce ice monster whose reign of terror has nearly brought the world they live in to its knees. When a powerful, but desperate politician learns of Snow’s existence, he sets after her to exploit powers he believes her to have. Snow is on the run now, encountering Gods, creatures, and new friends. Joined by Rigby, her goldfish, Strongheart, her guard dog and a rare bird named Bertie, Snow must overcome her fears, control her strengths and face her mother in a final battle that threatens to destroy them all.
"Snowfall" Character Concept Sketches
“Snowfall” has been taking shape over the last few years. The story deals with themes of family (particularly adoptive family), sacrifice, power/corruption and courage. I’m planning to work with Comic Life and draw the illustrations myself. In my final presentation of my work, I would like to also include concept sketches and a small “making of” type video elaborating more on the story, characters and how I put together the graphic novel, as well as a video featuring illustrations with voice, sound effects and music. I would edit the film in iMovie or After Effects.

This story is influenced strongly by dark fantasy films, such as “Return to Oz,” “Pan’s Labyrinth,” “Never-Ending Story,” “The Fall,” and “Spirited Away” as well as classic fantasy tales like “Alice in Wonderland” and “Wizard of Oz” and Greek mythology. The story is also influenced by memories from my own childhood and life experiences. Though this story features a child as the main character and has elements of magic and whimsy, the story also has some very scary/adult elements in it. This book would probably be best suited young adults. Once I finish with this project, I would like to look into sending this off to be published (my fantasy would be for it to be adapted as an animated or live action movie.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment