Pages

Friday, October 4, 2013

Editing the Digital Signal



                 One of the main points in chapter one is that, while sound acts on physical principles, it has psychological effects on humans as well. The point that Alten is making is that we, as humans, perceive sound in a way that we understand on an emotional level. In my MIDI project, the beginning of my project is supposed to sound dark and confused, full of static, with bits of sound clips and special effects playing as if a radio is being tuned. In particular there is a brief sound clip with a violin playing. I liked the ominous effect of the sound and kept it in to contribute to the confusion of the opening.
               In chapter seventeen, a main point is: "an effective interactive-sound design creates an immersive environment through which a user can travel and explore." As I was designing my MIDI project, I wanted to create an environment for the listener of my song. I had a concept that the beginning would sound like a space ship taking off, with the pilot turning the radio on. This would lead into the song as if the station had been tuned to it. With the sound effects that I selected, I attempted to create an environment for the listener of my project. 
               In chapter twenty-four, Alten points out the importance of production values. Production values: "relate to the material's style, interest, color and inventiveness."  Good production value draws you into the project and move you. With my MIDI project, I attempted to create a sound that came across as a professionally made product with decent production value. Because I was working with free resources, I felt a lot of creative freedom to create something that was creative, stylish, interesting and inventive.

No comments:

Post a Comment