Pages

Monday, December 16, 2013

The Sound of Star Wars: Attack of the Clones

The documentary on the sound design of "Star Wars: Episode II" was really very interesting. As a film maker, I love watching behind the scenes featurettes. Seeing what it took to make the final product (and what a laborious process it is), only teaches me and makes me appreciate the film even more. 

I think the most interesting part for me was seeing the objects used to make sound effects. I love the use of objects that you would never suspect to be used, like an antique air raid siren that was used to make sound effects for the speeders in a chase sequence near the beginning of the film or the squishing up of a grapefruit to make the effects of the centipede creatures that crawl along the floor. I've seen documentaries on the original Star Wars trilogy and I think it's fascinating seeing how the sound designers utilize everyday items and stock effects to create iconic sounds like Chewy's growls, the lightsabers or the lasers coming from the X-wings and TIE fighters.

I also am a huge fan of Frank Oz and to see him do Yoda's voiceover was a real treat for me. He's such a talented actor, puppeteer and director, that just even getting to watch him perform was exciting and interesting for me. 

I learned a ton about the process and work that these sound designers put into creating the sounds for just one scene. The work that is put into just even little details in a sequence, like the movement of a machine or footsteps or background noise is astounding and, again, makes me appreciate the hard work that the creative team does.

As far as critiquing the documentary, I don't have much in the way of constructive criticism. I think perhaps it could have been shortened a little in places (some of the interviews were a little long I felt), but overall, I think that this documentary is well made, informative and interesting, especially for a Star Wars fan like myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment