Pages

Friday, January 11, 2013

Thai Life Insurance: My Favorite Ad Campaign

              

                   I (as well as just about every other person on this planet) live with a constant barrage of advertising pushing and shoving it's way into my senses, peddling Nikes and pouring the promise of delicious fizzy Sprite down my throat (now only HALF the calories!) I find many commercials to be deceptive, off-putting and a bit sleazy. One series of commercials, however, broke through the clutter and struck a cord with me. I find the Thai Life Insurance advertisement campaign that I discovered on Youtube to be the most brilliant I’ve ever come across (and certainly my favorite.)

                  The commercials usually present scenarios involving heartbreaking/heartwarming relationships between family and/or loved ones. I think that the brilliance in these ads is the ability of the content to pull you in so quickly and so strongly that they are not easily forgotten. I have genuinely cried, nay, sobbed, to a few of these commercials. They are masterfully made and come across as short films that just happen to have the company’s logo at the end.

                 These commercials contain a grace and artistry that I have never beheld in a commercial before. Unlike thousands of blaring, in-your-face Mountain Dew commercials I’ve encountered, these commercials resonate with me and are memorable. The ad is not bombarding you with the message of “BUY THIS! BUY THIS!” There are no explosions, no celebrities, no promise of “cleaner, younger-looking skin.” There is a simplicity and subtly behind them that fuels their power and the reality of the situations draw us in. These commercials appeal to the heart and mind, providing me with something much richer and valuable to me than any other commercial I have ever been exposed to. I not only pay attention to these commercials, I re-watch them. That, I think, is truly a feat in itself.

      


No comments:

Post a Comment