Pages

Friday, February 8, 2013

Graphic Novel Ideas


            I’m very excited to begin brainstorming for my graphic novel. I had an idea over Christmas break for a superhero series that I found to be something I thought was interesting and deserved to be expanded upon.
            My initial idea was of giving people superpowers as a way to cope with fear (ex: someone with a fear of heights could fly, fear of water could swim, fear of animals could speak to them), but I have been having trouble making that idea come together.  
I began to think in a world where superpowers could be possible (for the right price) they would have to do some testing. If the side effects were bad and proved to make a person too dangerous, what would happen to this person? They would have to be destroyed.
One character that has been in my mind from the beginning of this idea is test subject of this project who gains immense physical strength and agility. The character “X,” out of the characters I have created for this project, is the most like a comic book character. She is a character who serves as the protagonist of my story. I wanted to take the female superhero and make her less of a sex object and more a soldier, sort of an extreme female marine. I want her to be brutal and gentle at the same time. She is a character that is driving this story forward in my mind even though the details are vague right now because I’m clinging to the images of her to keep me going.
Another character that I must work with is a boy who is afraid of animals that can now communicate with them. I think that this character has great potential. I have to keep him because I have the image of his reconciling with a dog who bit him in his childhood, triggering his fear of animals.
There are reoccurring themes in all of my stories, I’ve noticed. I love transformations, whether literal or in terms of character development. I always love taking a villain and making them heroic or vice versa. Dabbling in grey areas is always fascinating to me. I always really enjoy exploring the dynamics of relationships, the themes of love, loss and loneliness. I really also want to just take a look at how people would deal with having “superpowers” in a more realistic environment. I would like to see how these powers would effect a person in their daily life.
Overall, this project may be too big, too ambitious for me right now, so I may just write a side story about it, but I think that I’ve got something here that really interests me and I would like to see where it takes me.
                                        
                                             Here is the first doodle of "X" I made.



                                               "X" as portrayed by my friend Ryan Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment