Pages

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Cultural Attendance: "Cinderella" showing and Causeplayers

I went to a movie showing off campus to see the new Cinderella flick, in two different theaters.
I went to a showing in Louden, VA at the Alamo.
Cinderella online confirmation 
In Charleston, I am a part of a group called "Causeplayers," a non-profit organization where people dress as characters for events, generally with children. For the new Cinderella film, me and a few others from my group dressed as Disney princesses to greet children and parents. In working these sorts of events, you meet many new people, you have new business opportunities (I also do princess party entertainment and this is the best way that I meet potential clients) and I learn a great deal from the other Causeplayers when it comes to costume-making, films (usually animation) and other creative mediums. Also, this tests my creativity when it comes to costuming, acting and improvisation, all important skills when one is interested in the field of film-making. Also, though it may seem a silly situation, when you are playing a princess, you need to be as professional as possible, because you never know if you may get an offer to do a party.

Ariel (me) and my fellow Causeplayers
 
After our character meet and greet us princesses went to see the film. It was a very good picture, filled with references to the iconic animated Cinderella. This film had gorgeous cinematography, acting and costuming. Whenever I watch a film anymore, I like to pick apart the pieces that I liked most, trying to discern what made it successful and how I can make my films successful in those ways. I believe that even just going to see a cute film like Cinderella is educational to a filmmaker because I think any good filmmaker sees any production as an opportunity to observe and take note of what you like/don't like and what works/doesn't work.

No comments:

Post a Comment