Pages

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Cultural Attendance: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy concert

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
 
 
My mother and I went to see Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, one of the best contemporary big bands I have ever seen. We went to see them in Annapolis, Maryland at the Ram's Head. Mom and I got ready at a friend's house, done up in our retro-influenced outfits and hairstyles.
 
 
Mom and I dressed up for the concert!

 
 

At the venue early, the band setting up
The venue was small, but once the show was about to start it was PACKED. It was a little hard to take pictures since the lighting was so dim, but I managed to get a picture with Scotty Morris, the band's front man afterwards. I also met with the rest of the band. A few of the guys even said that they liked my outfit! I was massively geeking out because I'm such a huge fan of the band.
 
With Scotty Morris, the front man
The guys played a great show and it was really interesting to see so many other people interested in this genre of music, especially young people, dressed in circle skirts or pin-striped suits. The guys played not only their own music, but classic swing and jazz. They reference a lot of Cab Calloway, Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller and other greats in the history of the genre. The band has also been together for over twenty years and played a big part in the swing revival of the late nineties with their hit "Mr. Pinstripe Suit" (1998)




No comments:

Post a Comment