Pages

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Capstone Presentation

Presenting "Snowfall: The Girl in the Frost"
I consider my capstone presentation in the student center to be a highlight of my capstone class and college experience overall. It was very exciting being able to not only show off my project, but explain it and explain my process.

The cover of my graphic novel and my presentation poster
For my project, I created and set up a poster board with the cover of my novel as the middle poster. On the left side of the board, I posted information about the story's content, characters and my inspirations for the story. On the right side, I wrote about the process of creating my graphic novel by listing the programs I worked in and how I edited my illustrations.
In addition to the poster board, I also brought some visual aids that proved to be very successful with those who stopped by my table. I provided a three-ring binder with my original concept art and illustrations and a small notebook with some more illustrations and some of my first notes on my story. I brought my laptop to run a power point as a sort of teaser for my novel and a small sample of my work. I also brought a book on the 1920's - 1930's that I used as research and was a very helpful resource for me.
 
Snow and Rigby, the goldfish
 
I was so excited for my presentation that I wanted to pay attention to little details. I found a sheet at a thrift shop covered in stars, just like the quilt that my character receives in the story and later becomes very important to her. I bought it, cut it up and made a little table cloth to echo the stars on the blanket in the poster. I also used brought a small, old key with me as a prop and put it by my notebook. The key in my story is something that my character holds onto as a reminder as her former home. I even dressed in all black and white as a reference to the style of my novel and wore a beret similar to the hat that Snow wears throughout my novel. I really enjoy putting these small references in, even if I'm the only one who might "get" them. I wasn't alone though! Doug Frick wore a full costume relevant to his project! I like his thinking!  
  I really enjoyed talking with people about my story and the process of creating it. People seemed to respond very positively to my illustration style, something that I must admit I was surprised, but immensely touched by (I suppose we're all our own worst critics?) Many people expressed interest in reading the final product, which was also very exciting for me.

Papa and Snow
 
Overall, this entire class has really pushed me and I'm glad that it has. I have a tendency to let ideas that I love just sort of linger in my head and I never get them down. This class has forced me to get my story finally finished and something that I can present to people. Without these deadlines, "Snowfall" probably would have never gotten this far along. After graduation, I would really like to send this story somewhere for publication and finish the next installments of my story.

No comments:

Post a Comment